Malawi-Day One

I’m back from Malawi and have so much to share with you!  I think the best way for me to do so is post my journal entries; they have the most insight into my heart during the time I was away.  The entries tend to be very out of order because of the crazy schedule we kept, so I will rearrange them and add some things that I was too exhausted to note at first.  Thank you so much for your support during this trip!!

Ready to go to Malawi!

August 29

We’re on the plane to South Africa now, our first flight was smooth with only a little turbulence.  This airline seems really nice; they’ve already given us new pillows, blankets, sleep-masks, toothbrushes, and the tiniest tube of toothpaste you’ve ever seen.  They have a nice array of entertainment, too—lots of movies, TV shows and music to choose from.  Right now I’m listening to Taylor Swift—always a god choice.  🙂

This morning was really smooth.  Andrew woke up early and made pancakes and then woke me up at 7:30.  I checked e-mail and Facebook one last time before heading to the church at 8:30.  I think Harrison thought that Andrew was the one leaving, because as soon as he walked out of the room, Harrison started looking for him and completely forgot about me!  Silly dog.

When we got to the church there were only a few people there, one was Kelly, the other nurse on the team.  I was able to introduce her to Andrew; I was really glad that he was able to meet a few of the people going on the trip with me.

We never did take a group picture before we left… hopefully we can take one before we leave Johannesburg.

Once we got to the airport we had to wait outside for about and hour while we got all of the luggage sorted out.  It. was. hot!  I feel so stinky now despite rinsing my underarms and reapplying deodorant.  I was going to change shirts but then realizes I didn’t pack on in my carry on.  Oh, well!  I also lost my $30 water bottle that filters out typhoid, cholera, etc. on the flight to Dulles.  I wish I’d realized it earlier because by the time I did, it was too late to go back.  Another oh well!  It’s too early in the trip to start getting upset by such little things.

Getting our luggage sorted

I called Andrew before we boarded the plane in D.C. and then again once we boarded.  That last on was difficult.  I won’t hear his voice again for 11+ days.  We have never been apart this long, and we certainly have never gone this long without speaking.  This is going to be very difficult.  I wish that he were coming with me; I’m going to miss him so much!

We’ve taken off now, it will be about 14 hours before we land in Johannesburg.  They reported that it’s been snowing there.  I hope it’s true!  I can’t wait to play in snow, even if it’s just for a few minutes!

I’m still nervous about the trip and what my role on the team is.  I haven’t practiced the language at all, so that’s nervewracking, too.

My hope and prayer is that this trip changes me to the very core.  May I appreciate my material blessings more, but more than that, may I realize what is really important in life.  May I come away dumbfounded by God’s great grace and love.  May I fall madly, deeply, hopelessly in love with my Savior, never to look back.

Lord, change me!  I can’t live this lukewarm faith anymore.  Change my heart and make it new, make me like You.  Give me a new spirit—a spirit that hungers and thirsts ravenously after You.  Make me radically Your.  Passionately Yours.  Wholly Yours.  Uncompromising.  Devoted.  Bold.  Compassionate.  Loving.  Yours.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s